Krakakoa: Content Strategy
- Kickstart communications strategy for the startup and execute a media outreach campaign to raise awareness for the new brand entering a saturated market.
Krakakoa (formerly Kakoa) is a social enterprise that empowers local farmers by investing in their tools and training, helping them create exceptional organically grown cacao beans that go into the Krakakoa bean-to-bar chocolate.
To gain traction in local market and promote brand ○ Find local partners who are aligned with the mission of Krakakoa
To increase consumer knowledge of brand and customer interaction with brand through partnership development and community activation events
- I separated the project into 3 phases over the course of 6 months
- Phase I: Understanding the Company and its Consumers
I started by conducting interviews with the co-founders Sabrina Mustopo and Simon Wright, field teams, farmers, cacao experts, and their end users. The objective was to gain a better grasp on the brand's unique value proposition, to see if the various stakeholder's world views were aligned, and to uncover pain points along the way.
- Phase II: Content Creation
I worked with the internal team and the farmers to create multimedia package that is both international in scope and also customizable for investors and partners.
This involved sourcing talent to assist with creating multimedia content. We produced an intro video during a field visit to Lampung, a province on the southern tip of the Indonesian island of Sumatra. During the three-day trip, we shared lodging and broke bread with the farmers, following them to their cacao fields and observing the process from harvest to fermentation. This helped gain insight into the story we wanted to tell and added more depth to our initial storyboard. On the last day, we began filming.
- Phase III: Developing Partnerships
I sought out opportunities and connected Krakakoa to sectors beyond their own, ranging from lifestyle luxury brands, online curated stores, art & culture curators.
- Media coverage featuring Krakakoa's founder Sabrina Mustopo on 3 major outlets, including a TV news feature, lifestyle magazine profile, and an insert magazine for Jakarta Fashion Week
Multimedia content kit that included interviews with Sabrina and the farmers, high-resolution video and still images, press releases, and an FAQ sheet
Generation and implementation of the company's offline and digital communications strategy
Two cross-sector event collaborations with a high-end beauty brand.